Fearless Falling Instructor Profile
Instructor Profile: Mike Grigsby
Judo, Aikido, Kungfu, Shorin-ryu Karate,
- Over 45 Years of martial arts experience:
Tai Chi Chuan, Shuai Chiao Kungfu
- Over 35 Years as a martial arts Instructor
at The Ohio State University for over 30 years
- First-Degree Black Belt in Karate
- Fifth-Degree Black Belt in Shuai Chiao Kungfu
- Head Coach for the Shuai Chiao Kungfu Club
The United States Shuai Chiao Association
- Branch Holder and Newsletter Editor for
Has taught over 300 Fearless Falling classes
at the Whetstone Community Center, Worthington Community Center, Goodwill Columbus,
- Trained in CPR and Basic First Aid
- Developed the Fearless Falling program in the Spring of 2012
and for the Mount Carmel Trauma Center Fall Technique Training research project.
Organized the Fearless Falling Demo Team presentation at the Columbus Recreation and Parks 2012 Senior Fest
Featured speaker for the Worthington Griswold Center "Amazing Race" program kickoff.
Instructor Mike Grigsby throws Kungfu Club President Kyle Kelly at an OSU demonstration.
"As I have often said, if one hates to
be thrown, one cannot expect to become a master of the art. By taking
throws time after time, one must learn how to take falls and overcome
the fear of being thrown. Then one will become unafraid of being
attacked and be able to take the initiative in attack. Only by
following this manner of training can one learn true Judo technique. It
is not possible to excel in throwing, or to defend against an attack
successfully, without a thorough understanding of falling."
~ Dr. Jigoro Kano
The Founder of Judo